Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Well I'm a Mouse, and I'm Stirring!

So I'm coming from the gym to our ministry center this morning and there I am, sitting in traffic at a red light.  That is life in Cranberry.  Sitting in traffic at a red light.  I had just been talking to Stan this morning about the old Christmas TV special where the voice recites the beginning of 'T'was the Night Before Christmas.'  When he gets to the "not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse" part, there is this little mouse in the kitchen stirring something in a bowl and she says "well I'm a mouse, and I'm stirring!"  Funny stuff.
So anywho, I'm sitting at this red light and all of the sudden I see this little mouse run out right into the middle of the intersection (228 and 19, no less!)!  As he begins to scurry about on the pavement, he starts acting very strangely.  You know, going this way, then that.  Running very fast in one direction, then stopping and running very fast in the opposite direction.  He finally and frantically made his way safely to the other side of the highway, hopped the curb, and took off into the grass.

And I'm thinking...I'm that mouse, and I'm stirring!  As I ponder God's ever renewing call on my life, I realize that my time in the suburbs has been like this mouse on the road.  It is just unfamiliar territory to me...it isn't where I really belong.  It's not that it is a bad place...if you're a car.  But I'm a mouse, and I think I have been stirring to find the grass where I belong. 

Lord, make me faithful to follow you....may my prayer be your commands to me iin Proverbs 4:26-27:

"Make level paths for your feet and take only ways that are firm.  Do not swerve to the right or the left..."

6 comments:

Tami G said...

Your blog needs a "Like" button like they have on Facebook. I liked what you had to say here. I feel like that mouse often lately.

Brett Probert said...

Thanks Tami...praying for you sista! I'm thankful that God has finally shown me the way to the grass on the other side. Keep trusting in Him and He'll keep leading you!

Anonymous said...

I am soooo a mouse too. I am always trying to find where I am supposed to be or what I am supposed to be doing. I think I have been searching for so long for it that if it was right in front of me I wouldn't know it. Also, thank God the mouse didn't die because I was worried about it.

Brett Probert said...

I am soooooooo praying for you...God will show you the Way!!!

lynn said...

Thanks for the nightmares!!!! I can't even see a mouse without crinching!!!

Anonymous said...

would you happen to remember what christmas special it was? I've been trying to find it.