Wednesday, January 13, 2010

To "multi" or "mono," this is the question...


So the other day I'm having breakfast with a couple of my best friends.  While we're eating and talking, I'm texting and taking calls and reading my emails and checking facebook and tweeting and thinking of my next joke and composing my next Sunday message and worrying and praying and interrupting and....well, you get the picture.  Why am I doing this?  Because this is what culture tells me is healthy.  The more you can do at once, the better (Extra Blague de Brett Bonus!!!!  Fill in the blank!!!) ____________  you are. This, my friends, is the art of multitasking...

So one of my friends says, are you sitting down?, he deleted his facebook account.  WHAT?  Are you crazy?  You shall be shunned!!!  What about that Bible verse, it's in there somewhere, I think, that says woe unto the facebookless, or sum'n like that?  How you could fall so far?  How will you live? 

After I work through my shock, he simply looks at me and says that he thinks his calling in this new year is to "monotask."  To focus on one person or thing at a time...and only one thing at a time...and give it his whole attention.  What a concept, but as an old professor of mine used to say, "I'm afraid he might be right...."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is sooooooo right. I have been wanting to delete my facebook page so many times. I think it's such a waste of time and a time-sucker. It has ruined people's lives but also connected people. Who knows. I think in moderation it is all right but people are really addicted! I probably will be off soon. I know Ben is going off. Well, that's my 2 cents.

Brett Probert said...

Amen sista!

Tami said...

I think erasing Facebook is going a bit too far... :)
But, I completely agree about monotasking. I think we are constantly doing too much - how can we focus when we have 5 tasks open at the same time! I have been making an effort to focus on only 1 thing at a time, too, but it is hard after being trained in the virtues of multi-tasking!

Tanya said...

It's interesting how cell phones, facebook and such has supposedly helped us connect more. I don't think it really has. It never replaces one on one, face to face connections. I think people feel lonely and disconnected more than ever. How can this be? It gives us something to ponder.