Friday, February 26, 2010

Jesus' Method of Discipleship!

So as I wind down my ministry as a pastor, and as my TPP kids are receiving their report cards, I've been thinking about grading myself on my last 14 years as a pastor.  I'm using these requisites as a baseline.  Mike Yaconelli summarized Jesus' methods in building followers for him like this.  I think is a great way to measure faithfulness...so over the next few blogs, I'll be pondering these things.  I'll also be asking the Lord to show me how I can live this out in my new ministry going forward.  Thanks for hangin' with me!

Jesus’ Method Of Discipleship

  • Hang out with the disciples
  • Let them see you at your best and your worst
  • Teach truths that none of your disciples can grasp at the moment
  • Avoid crowds
  • Go slowly
  • Spend hours in solitude
  • Don’t worry about opposition
  • Ignore criticism
  • Don’t expect immediate results

2 comments:

Paula & Jim said...

The many, many people that you have touched in 14 years have been influenced in more ways then you could ever know. I believe that some of those people don't even realize how deeply your faith and spirit have played a part in their choices.We pray for you, as always, that the path that the Lord puts in front of you will be smooth, but we know that even if it isn't you will follow it and be faithful to his call. You ARE the disciple that Jesus prayed for and have led many people to him. Isn't this what it is all about? As you know John Wesley never had or wanted a church ministry, his dream was more itinerate...go out and touch the people and help them to be accountable for their own faith. You already see more truth then most, follow the path. We love you.

Brett Probert said...

Thanks guys! It was great to share a big party of the journey with you!!!