Monday, February 01, 2010

LOA, ABLC, LMNOP? H-E-L-P!!!!

So I only have a month left as a pastor in the United Methodist Church, and I'll be proudly serving that out with the people called Cornerstone.  But, oh what a quandary this creates!?!!!  For who knew that I needed....a STATUS!!!

Yes, apparently at the end of February my status as an ordained elder in the UMC is in jeopardy because I will not be appointed to serve a local church.  But, alas, there is the ABLC option...appointed beyond the local church.  But is my ministry w/ The Pittsburgh Project a legitimate expression of my ordination to "word, order, and sacrament?"  Probably not...

So I have requested a VLOA...a voluntary leave of absence.  This gives me 5 years (I think...I never read the book...) by Book of Discipline to either lose my ordination or get into a real ministry of word, order, and sacrament.  I guess I'll just take my chances!!!

Fortunately, I believe my real S-T-A-T-U-S is found in my relationship with J-E-S-U-S!  And here I thought I was F-R-E-E!   You can check out John 8:36 if you don't believe me...

9 comments:

Ed said...

Actually, what I little I know of the Pittsburgh Project, they might qualify as an extension ministry. What is your role with them?

Brett Probert said...

Ed!!! How in the health are you?! I imagine I could get qualified, I just don't know if I have the time and energy to jump through these hoops right now. I'm working with at-risk kids in their after school ministry.

Jeff Kahl said...

Brett,
Blessings on you as you potentially lose your "status" with an institution, but you reclaim your "status" as a free child of God.
What are you doing with the Pittsburgh Project? I am (hopefully) bringing a gang there this coming summer. Let's hook up while I'm there!
Jeff

Andrew said...

Welcome to VLOA, Brett! Hope you have been blessed as you move toward God's call and become 'fully itinerant'. Unfortunate that not all are open to seeing these opportunities for what they are: the call of God to an open heart. My following of God was characterized by one individual as "using voluntary leave to avoid itineracy". I'm returning to the pastorate this year, excited and renewed from the ministries I've been involved with over the last year. Maybe too much of an optimist about the 'system', but there are worse thing to be. I'm excited for you and all God's doing in your life. Know that I am praying FOR you and all God is making of you. I respect you, your honesty and your passion for Him. Peace, Andy

Brett Probert said...

Jeff...sounds great. I'm working w/ at risk kids in the afterschool ministry. I'll hopefully working w/ the summer camp program too so I'm sure we'll be able to hook up when you come back to da burgh!

Brett Probert said...

Andrew...it's all good. I actually think the whole thing is pretty funny. I do think it speaks somewhat to just how out-of-touch the rules/regs of the UMC can be but it is what it is! Congrats on your move back into the system. You'll be in my prayers!!!

Ben said...

does this mean I don't have to call you Father Probst anymore?

That is so clonced! (clonced is my word verification word today)

Brett Probert said...

Ben...for you, I expect that you'll always call me Father...and if you don't, I'll clonce your booty.

Brenda said...

It is sad if we as WPAUMC do not see working at The Pittsburgh Project as and ministry beyond the local church....but hey I guess what do I know I never went on to seminary or decided to go the route of ordained ministry I just decided to support my husband in is ministry to the local church and the communities they are in....but in the eyes of some who are part of the local church it should stop with those inside the walls and not go into the local community

Praying for you as you step out into this ministry and are Jesus to those children...you are truly the hands and feet of Jesus to those children