Monday, March 13, 2006

Monday, Monday...

Monday, Monday; Can't trust that day
Monday, Monday; Sometimes it just turns out that way
Oh, Monday morning you gave me no warning of what was to be
Oh, Monday, Monday, how could you leave and not take me....

That's the classic annoying song from the Mamas and the Papas. They do a pretty good job of summing up the world's view of Monday. The world hates Mondays. It seems like drudgery. It conjures despair. It seems uncontrollable and dark.

And yet, it seems that as a Christian, that ought not be our approach. After all, isn't God all about second chances and starting over? And isn't that what Mondays could be, in Christ? Think of the great flood...God said "enough", let's start over. That was a big "Monday" in the history of the world (and I'm thankful for it.) Think of the cross....God said "enough", let's start over. Jesus brought the biggest "Monday" of all to us. As I think to the time when I first realized that this was all true and I truly received it, it was a huge "Monday" in my life.

So here it is the literal Monday. What do you need to start over? What did you flub up last week? In your job? In school? In your family? In your faith? In your friendships? (Thank God I don't have to list them here...) Well, I am going to grab this Monday by the horns as a new start.

Psalm 40:1-3 says "I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry. 2 He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. 3 He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD." (NIV) Today, I have those words humming in my mind in the tune of U2's "40", a paraphrase of that Psalm. Those of you who saw them with me in October at the Mellon Arena know how they ended their concert. Thanks to the Lord who inspired them, that isn't how I'm ending my "concert", it is how I am starting it!!!

"...I will sing, sing a new song..."

7 comments:

Chris said...

Are we allowed to use secular music in posting stuff about God????

Good Post

Prettybird said...

Thank you. I'll try to think of it that way.

Brett Probert said...

Chris,

We're not technically allowed, but since McIlweb can't talk about anything but the Grammys and American Idol, I thought I'd throw it in there for effect.

Prettybird said...

Brett,
Do you follow a guide to read your bible every day? The lectionary? A devotional? I'm really really lacking in this area and need a spark. (Not quite as big a spark as your accustomed to...I like my neighbors...hee hee)

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Hey...God likes good music. It's Asbury grads he can't abide.

Brett Probert said...

prettybird: Like anyone else, I struggle in this area. I waffle back and forth. Right now, I am reading through Oswald Chambers "My Utmost for His Highest". This can be too challenging and not grace-filled enough sometimes so I never go a whole year on that diet! I also write weekly devotions that tie in with my messages. You can check them out at www.cornerstoneumchurch.org and follow the link at the bottom of the worship page. I also have a prayer Bible...a Bible in which I write prayers of response in the margins as I sense God speaking. This is sometimes very helpful too. Find someone to hold you accountable!

Prettybird said...

Thanks! I'll give some of that a try!
It's weird having people refer to me as "prettybird"...that's Keith's nickname for me. I think there's a post on my blog about the name...maybe in February's archives.