Tuesday, March 21, 2006

MTD

What, you ask, is MTD? That's simple: Moralistic Therapeutic Deism! What, you ask, is Moralist Therapeutic Deism? That's not so simple!

Group Publishing, a stellar youth ministry resourcing organization, has done an extensive study of American youth and their views about God. This is what they concluded. American kids have a:

Moralistic: God is all about us making moral choices. God gave us free will to decide what is right and what is wrong. He loves us when we make good choices, and doesn't when we don't.

Therapeutic: God exists for our pleasure, not the other way around. This belief leads to the thought that personal happiness is the goal of life. Not even God would ask us to sacrifice that personal happiness for Him.

Deism: Essentially, God is unknowable. He only gets involved in our lives to the extent that He is the judge. We can't have any kind of relationship with Him; He is just our "fix" when we get into a jam.

Group thinks this kind of thinking is unChristian, and dangerous. I agree. Do you?

In what ways are you MTD? How would you describe God? Is He a Moralistic Therapeutic Deism? If not, who is He? Let's hear it!

7 comments:

Prettybird said...

Brett,
I remember working (briefly) with some younger youth when we were in Greensburg. We were doing an activity where there were two spots marked, one for "true" and one for "false". I would read things like "God loves us when we help others" and they would go to the appropriate spot. If I said "God loves us when we cheat on a test" some of them went over to the "false" spot. I had to assure them that God loves them no matter what. There's a lot to digest in your post, but I think it's very sad. Somehow the church has failed these kids. Jesus should be the coolest guy in the world to them! They're confused and scared and I feel like they feel hopeless (and helpless). Don't get me wrong. I see a lot of kids that are just great...I don't buy into the hype that all youth are doomed (see my blog post for 3/17...) but they certainly are floundering (is that the word I want). I'm sure I could word this all better, but those were my immediate thoughts. I'm thankful there are folks like you that "get" this age group. Not everyone does, and that's OK. But I'm glad that you do. I hope we can support and affirm you and your ministry to these precious children of God. Maybe that's what breaks my heart...they don't know they're precious children of God. Sad.

Brett Probert said...

The feedback idea...I think that was yours Ben!!! Thanks dude! I agree COMPLETELY with you. I loved the "Jesus choices" line...good one. And you're right, the relationship...that's the only way because that is what God really wants. I was challenged by this, especially the therapy thing. I need to be reminded that I'm here for God, not the other way around.

Robyn, I couldn't agree more. The youth are not doomed. There is great hope. We (adults) just need to realize how they are thinking, and how we are thinking that way too and contributing to it. Then we (adults) need to embrace Jesus. When we do, the kids and adults will want to as well!!! It is that salt and light thingy.

PS: Read my blog of yesterday re: my hope in our youth!

Chris said...

Good post. Kinda scary. We've a lot of work to do!

Brett Probert said...

au contraire, mon frere. Get thee to thy Bible:

1 John 4:18
here is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.
NIV

Prettybird said...

I love it when you say, "au contraire, mon frere"...it makes me giggle.

Keith H. McIlwain said...

"Go! Confront the problem! Fight! Win!" - Edna Mode in The Incredibles

Brett Probert said...

I suppose the "Incredibles" approach is valid, but rather idealistic and vague. I agree with Ben in that the way to "go, fight, win" is to first seek a complete and perfect relationship with God in Jesus. As we live that out, I suspect we will be able to exhibit an authentic "something" that others know they need...