Thursday, March 22, 2007

Transitions...

With the hiring of our Family Ministries Coordinator, Lori, my mind starts to drift to the transition. I have been reflecting a lot lately about transitions I have been through and trying to concretize what I have learned through the years. Here are a few thoughts.

1. The new person is responsible for building their own ministry or success within an organization. Nobody else can do that for them.

2. Even the most responsible, capable, and called individual will fail if they are not provided with a solid foundation on which to start.

3. The new person cannot provide that foundation. They can only build on it. The organization cannot provide that foundation...organizations don't provide anything. Only people can provide that solid foundation.

As Lori prepares for her transition here beginning the week after Easter Sunday (how appropriate, eh?), I am committing to Lori, to our Ministry Management Team, to myself, and to the Lord that I will do everything in my power to provide her with a solid foundation on which to build. I have NO doubt that Lori has everything it takes to build a successful ministry and career on that foundation...she is called, she has character, she is competent, and she is a proven contributor... I just want to make sure that I am faithful to provide the foundation she needs to make that happen. Lord, hear my prayer.

4 comments:

Greg Cox said...

Since this is a new ministry and a new position, the church, through your leadership has been able to cast a vision. This is a solid vision, one that has a foundation of prayer, and a foundation of God's purpose at Cornerstone. Don't forget that either.

You may be a foundation for her, but in my opinion - that vision that you helped cast is going to make the difference.

The Foundation is there, my brother. I look forward to hearing great things.

Randy Roda said...

Just a thought on leadership. The best foundation I ever received in building ministry was encouragement. Great leaders need to be encouraged by those around them. That will definitely happen at Cornerstone

Keith H. McIlwain said...

An important part of the foundation - as you know better than I - is empowerment...not being afraid to empower our leaders, to give permission, and to let them flourish. It means trusting the other the foundational things (like character, which is always first), putting our own egos aside, and letting the leader lead and take risks.

I know you are on the ball with all that; I wish more pastors would / could do it as well!

Brett Probert said...

Jeff...is there an echo in here?

Also, I saw you dis'n me over on McIlweb. Remember, I know where you live, and I have a match and I know how to use it!