Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Things vs. People

So Carla says to me the other day, "why do we as humans spend so much time talking about people instead of about things?" You know...gossip. Good question...one that I cannot get out of my head. In the meantime, the Lord planted another question. "Why do we care more about things that we do about people?" Another good one.

We care more about things, but we talk more about people. How sad.

We need to care about people so we see their hurts and fears. We need to care enough about people to share Jesus with them. We need to care enough about people to step into their worlds and show them the King and His Kingdom.

And we need to talk about things. Not just any old things, but about things that matter. We need to talk about the Lord. We need to talk about love and grace and mercy and holiness. We need to talk about faith and faithfulness. We need to talk about the Word and the impact it has on life today.

Lord, help me to care enough about people to talk about the right things....

7 comments:

Randy Roda said...

You are so right...thanks for the reminder!

Anonymous said...

Hi Poons,
Yes, you are right. In my personal life I am trying so hard to remember that I need to try to be joyful, and remember not to gossip... JOY vs Gossip -- maybe a sermon idea....I appreciate your reminder too.
S. Morris

Greg Cox said...

Why do people park on driveways, and drive on parkways?

Jeff Kahl said...

So true...and unfortunately church people are the guiltiest when it comes to talking about people and caring about things!

Keith H. McIlwain said...

I hear you, brother (and sister). Thanks for the reminder.

Brenda said...

So true. Please God help us all to refocus our talk and cares

Renaye said...

Lately, I've been trying to remember the Proverb, "When there are many words, transgression is unavoidable, But he who restrains his lips is wise." (10:19).

I talk too much sometimes, and I feel that if I didn't, I wouldn't have as many troubles. Thanks for the reminder.