Saturday, October 13, 2007

What a God Send!

Some words from the recent edition of Discipleship Journal:

"Given the choice, would you rather read a book or ride a bike? Ponder theological concepts or prepare a meal for a sick neighbor? Keep a journal or talk with a friend about your spiritual journey? Jot down musings about a Bible passage or debate an issue? Guess what - most material on spending time with God is written by people who would choose the first option in each question..."

So the article goes on to talk about how to enjoy the presence of God and allow Him to enjoy you in ways that are not so passive and sedentary. Praise the Lord...finally some resources for the more tactile learners of the world!

So, fellow kinesthesians, how do you experience the presence of God in active, experiential ways?

6 comments:

Jeff Kahl said...

Brett -

Great quote. I like to think I keep a good balance between the two ways:

I definitely need my times in solitude with nothing but a good theology book, journal, or the Bible itself. Just ask my wife: If I don't get that at least once a week, I can be a pain in the butt to live with.

On the other hand, I'm totally down with talking church and ministry with some buddies around a table at the nearest pub, or going on a good hike in the woods, or taking a drive with my wife...and all of those things are definitely spiritual food as well.

So yeah, I think both types are needed, for me anyway.

Cheers.............

Anonymous said...

I've had some really good, maybe even great experiences in my life... but I have never experienced the presence of God in a more active, experiential way than I am right now!

It's in every cuddle, kiss, and giggle; in the nightly bath, messy meals, and ironing her little clothes; in the surprise somersaults, the falls, and the get-ups; it's in the diaper changes, stroller rides, and book reading. I love every minute of being Sophia's mother.

Loving and caring for Sophia has shown me more about my relationship with God then I could ever have known without my dear, sweet, sweet daugther! My spiritual life is VERY kinesthetic right now and it's SOOO AWESOME!!!

Thanks for your post Brett!

Greg Cox said...

Plain and simply, Camping and retreats. Then of course a mission trip to Russia, and Habitat Projects.

Barb said...

Interacting with my 16 year old. Having conversations that are spirit led, without being angry about how he defied me, or back talked me. Ones where we giggle about nothing, or ride in a silence that is peaceful!

B~

Randy Roda said...

I expereince God's presence the most in relationships with family and friends.

Unknown said...

Experiencing God during visits with parishioners who share their story of faith and teach me so much.

Bless you brother.
Jeff