Thursday, July 09, 2009

I forgot how to pray...


I went to see an "old" friend yesterday...at a long term in-patient drug and alcohol treatment center. He's only 21 and I hadn't seen him in 7 years. Over his teenage years, he made some really stupid decisions and ended up messing up his life royally. He is on the right road now and just recommitted his life to the Lord. Good stuff.
So he says to me..."How do you pray? I forgot how."
Great question. We had an awesome conversation about prayer and what it is and what it isn't. He said that he has a hard time praying for himself...that he is just too thankful and doesn't feel like he should ask God for anything for himself. So he prays for his family and his friends. And he prays a lot of prayers of thankfulness. And yet he isn't sure that he is praying "right" because he isn't praying for himself.
Wow...humbling indeed. I think that young man...that young Christian...may have just taught something huge to this old man...this seasoned Christian...

No comments: