Thursday, August 27, 2009

Step Up!


Last evening, I had a great discussion with some friends from Cornerstone. Part of the conversation was about taking responsibility for our own actions. After I got home, and since Carla was working, I took Shadrach for a walk. We were walking down the little paved trail, that our ridiculously expense Homeowner's Association fees pay for, in the dark. The branches were hanging down from the nearby trees and several of them were whapping me in the face. I said aloud, as I've said before, "when is somebody gonna trim these trees?!"

And then it hit me, what about me? Why don't I trim the trees? Why do I assume someone else should? Why is it always somebody else's fault or responsibility? When will I step up, and not just to the little things of trimming tree branches, but to the big things of living like Jesus in this world instead of wondering when everyone else will...

1 comment:

Ben said...

You are now assessed a fine of $25 for speaking negatively about the HOA. I have also noticed that I can see the bottom of your trash cans under the fence and your stoop lamp is a little dim. While you are at trimming trees, why don't you seal the hockey court and mow your neighbors area of public grass.

Although I agree with taking responsibility for your own actions, it can be very easy to find responsibility in a lot of other people's actions or inactions. How's that old AA serenity prayer go? Yeah, something like that. Going on vacation! See you in a week.