Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Here...let me do that for you!


So I went to the Bishop's Day on the District meeting last night.  It was a very long meeting, but it was good in some respects.  First of all, I got to see some old friends and hang out a bit.  I also heard the bishop be very honest about how the United Methodist Church is dying and we better do something about it.  I agree.

But after a 2 hour and 15 minute presentation, we spent a few moments on our knees in prayer.  And part of that time was in explanation of why we need to pray.  It just struck me...again...this notion that has been rolling around in my bean for a while now.

It seems that we (as Christians) spend much of our time and energy trying to do things only God can do, and then trying to get God to do the things only we can do.   Some plant, some water, but it is God who makes it all grow (see 1 Corinthians 3:6).  Only God can grow the church.  Only He can bring about the Kingdom on earth as it is in heaven. The best effort is to allow that to happen in us individually as we spend our lives on our knees in prayer, devotion, worship, and service to Him.  That's our job.

The rest, I gently remind us, is His...

2 comments:

Keith H. McIlwain said...

I agree completely. My FEAR, however, is that God sometimes chooses to NOT permit growth by a congregation or denomination, in order to TEACH something, inspire to greater faithfulness, whatever. Do you think that's possible? And, if it is, we need to look at what God is BLESSING...not just growing, but blessing.

Brett Probert said...

Yes. I agree completely. He often "removed His hand of blessing" in Scripture to inspire faithfulness. He is also a God of seasons...and while institutions may come and go, His Kingdom is eternal...and that's what matters most.