Monday, November 16, 2009

Me and My Big Mouth (Boy, did I just open myself up for comments, or what?!)


I love Bugs Bunny.  He has always made me laugh since I was a little boy and watched him on Saturday morning cartoons ('mimber them?).  He had a way of getting himself into some scrapes and then would often, in reflection, say "me and my big mouth!"

I guess I have a big mouth sometimes and I get myself in trouble for it.  Take for example recently when Carla and I were trying to decide upon a realtor.  We met with this woman who was extremely scattered and disorganized.  She forgot some paperwork, forgot her pen, and then lost the keys to a home she was showing us!  When she emailed to see if we were interested in using her as a realtor, I said no.

Now I tried to say it in a polite way, but I guess the truth sometimes hurts.  I had a few friends read the email just to make sure I wasn't slamming her and stuff, but I still kinda felt badly speaking my mind.  Even if it was the truth.  Even if it was in a kind fashion.  Even if we, as a buyer, have the right to determine with whom we'll do business and why. 

So why do I feel badly?  I feel like I've opened my big mouth and "hurt" somebody.  But in the end, aren't we really called to "speak the truth in love?"  (see Ephesians 4:25)  And how do we expect to grow if we're not honest with each other?  How do we expect to be changed, and to change the world if we're not willing to lovingly confront? 

In fact, I'm gonna preach on that this week....

No comments: